Located at the very heart of Stags Leap District, the original Stags’ Leap Winery (Established in 1893) continues a proud winemaking heritage in the prestigious appellation that bears the winery name.
The founding Chase family named their country estate Stags’ Leap. The mountains behind the property on the eastern side came to be called Stags Leap Palisades. It is attributed to a native Wappo legend of a stag leaping to escape hunters, or leaping to its death in preference to being hunted down, or, a stag that eluded an entire generation of hunters, always leaping and vanishing at the last moment.
The Stags Leap Palisades are the most prominent geographical feature in the area and are part of the Vaca Range that stretches along the eastern side of Napa Valley. Erosion from the palisades is the source of the volcanic soil acknowledged as a contributing factor to the modern reputation for Cabernet Sauvignon in the Stags Leap District.